- What is Alternative Horsemanship?
- About Sam Harvey- Helping Horses & Humans
- Client Feedback
- Remote Horse Coaching and Instruction with Samantha Harvey
- Full Immersion Horsemanship Clinics with Samantha Harvey
- Horse and Rider Training with Samantha Harvey
- Alternative Horsemanship Hoofprints & Happenings Newsletter
- Online Horsemanship Course
Addressing the horse's thought before his physical behavior...
Rather than the handler or rider critiquing the horse's unwanted behavior, the person needs to "dig deeper" and address the root cause of it.
Getting fixated on stopping the obvious physical actions may temporarily curb the horse's initial actions, but it will not address the root cause of them.
If the behavior is only contained or criticized, the original unsought movement will evolve into a new undesirable one.
The horse's actions are a reflection of his mental and emotional state. If we prioritize having quality conversations with the horse helping him to learn to think through what we are presenting, he can then offer a soft, reasonable, physical "try" in his response to our requests.